Clear all

week 43- "to the man in the tall grass" -w/ mp3

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The first line came to mind as soon as i sat down to think about this weeks assignment. The muse then went wandering...

"to the man in the tall grass"

Staring up at the stars every night
With that grin upon your face
Oh i'd give anything just to take your place
Not a care in the world
laying flat on your back
It must be nice to just relax

Waiting around
Sinking into the ground

(chorus)
All you've got is time
No matter what the weather
Cloudy, clear, rain or shine
You just let it pass on by
But do you ever wonder what heaven must be like?

I brought you flowers again today
And layed them down at your side
And i swore i saw tears fill those empty eyes
Everyone needs a friend
And I'm glad that your mine
As we sit and watch the moon rise

Waiting around
Sinking into the ground

(chorus)

(bridge)
And the sun beats you down
And the moon brings the animals around
But in my heart i know
They're just trying to take you home

(end)
Nothing lasts forever
If anything you've taught me that
And so I said "Goodbye"
To the man in the tall grass.

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Marv,

I wish I were as adept as you are at twists. At first I thought, "hmmm, this is rather mellow and light for ol' Marv." Until I realized the guy was singing to a dead man. Very clever, and very nicely done. really good work.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Marv,
Very good ! Love the chorus. Can't really get ahold of what kind of setting to put this one in. Would be interested in what you had in mind musically. beyond all I can say is I thought I had a Dark side until reading your work. Great Stuff
Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@jamir)
Honorable Member

Hi'a Marv,

OK I picked up the dead man straight away and love the way you bring the lines
Waiting around
Sinking into the ground

into play between the verses, I would bring it in more though as it really has a soooo mellow and laid back vibe to it and makes the song complete.

Go well
Ja'mir

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey marv,

great song as always, like that line needs to ever be stated, more of an understood thing. not to give you a bigger head about it. :D

the title really draws me in. since things have gotten a little busier for me i don't have quite as much time to read and reply to everything like i used to. so i pick and choose what i read and a big part of that is in the title. when i read this one i was thinking WTF, i had to read it to know who the man is.

being subtle is one thing you are great at. you bring the reader in and then make them have to think.
But do you ever wonder what heaven must be like?I brought you flowers again today
And layed them down at your side it was when i read these two lines is when i knew it is a grave site that you were at.
And so I said "Goodbye"
To the man in the tall grassnice sweet understated ending. it is emotional just emotional enough but without making me cry. it leaves you right on the edge.
Everyone needs a friend
And I'm glad that your mine and these two lines really show the loneliness. and the tenderness that is captured in this little moment.

nothing jumps out at me that i think doesn't work or should be changed. great interp of the assignment. pretty much always like your stuff.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

stunning song.

somehow the title and some lines made me think of a tree a.k.a the man in the tall grass...then as I reread it it was clear from the first few lines 'Staring up at the stars every night[...]laying flat on your back'
Waiting around
Sinking into the ground love these, even more now that I see the reference to a dead man...actually pretty scary
I brought you flowers again today
And layed them down at your side
And i swore i saw tears fill those empty eyes
Everyone needs a friend
And I'm glad that your mine
As we sit and watch the moon rise this is just awesome, touching...made me think again of a tree or maybe a statue(for you see the tears fill the empty-stony- eyes...)

I'm also very fond of the animals&sun&moon trying to make him home...sweetness:)

the end again is more adressing a dead man than other parts, I think.

marv, I don't know why I still reply to your posts, they're grand almost everytime...and i don't have to say anything interesting, just saying i love it.... :D :D :D

bye
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@beren)
Estimable Member

Marv you are a 'star' (pun intended)
I don't know how you write such great material every week
Everyone else has already pointed out the bits I like
Ijust wanted to add my adulation
Beren

I'm one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Marv

A really good take on the assignment and I'll just echo everyone else's comments.

Great song, very heartfelt

Bob :)

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@dreamer9)

Can't add any more then what has already been said,except to say in the first verse and chorus I though how does he know me so well... :shock: :lol:

Dreamer#9

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I sometimes do rough versions of my songs before I take them to my band to get a proper work up... just me and a guitar.. usually using whatever imaginary chords kinda sound right or whatever..Im a bass player.. what do I know about chords? Anyway this is one of those. Thought I'd share.

http://thehouseholdgods.com/tallgrass.mp3

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey Marv luv the MP3 wonderfully moody and full of atmosphere, damn your good. *insert numurous other compliments here*

I could see this working for the band, would be interesting to see how it ends up if you do go that way with it.

Pet.

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Hey Marv,

Finally got around to posting this. Sorry for taking so long. Anyways, this piece has that "atmospheric" quality you usually aim for. A couple of things struck me, but I'm probably not going to explain them very well. So as a hedge to that, let me just say that I thought this was very well done indeed.

1. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but the music for the most part, is "minimalist?" You do this very cool rhythm in the verses, where you hit one chord twice, very short, not quite staccato, and it's kinda/sorta discordant. It's a wonderful backdrop to the lyrics. Sets up this feeling of some sort of weird thought that never quite takes definite shape in the back of your mind.

2. Then you do this sort of driving chord leading in to the chorus, which works very well.

3. The whole thing kind of undulates throughout the duration of the song. So the listener has the notion of having a feeling of foreboding, then, "no... I must've imagined it..." then there it is again.

I warned you I wasn't going to explain it very well, but I did like it quite a bit.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote