Week 44 Beach Rose

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The Muse spoke .I listened. Let us know how we did.

Beach Rose

On the craggy shores of New England
Between the rocks and sand
The tough yet elegant Beach Rose
Makes a triumphant stand

Chorus:
Her love is like the Beach Rose
It's beautiful and strong
Like the sound of the waves crashing
Or the words to some old song

Through trials and tribulations
She's stayed here by my side
Resistant to the shifting winds
Reliant as the tides

(Chorus)

The softness of the petals
The sharp sting of the thorn
The roots that hold to hostile land
And show where love is born

(Chorus)

She's taught me to be like the Beach Rose
To show both strength and grace
To grow in spite of hardship
And stare storms in the face

(Chorus)

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

(@tokai-12-string)
Estimable Member

Hey Celt

Very nicely done, wouldn't change a thing. even though I thought after the first read through that you had repeated the chorus too may times,

Tokai 12 String

Don't you ever give up on yourself

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=358286

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Really nice lyrics, almost poetic images - the only thing I couldn't get my head around at first was the concept of a rose growing through the sand....one of those songs you have to read a couple of times before you get it, but it was worth the effort....once I realised it was a metaphor, it all clicked into place.....

"The softness of the petals
And show where love is born" .........

That is absolutely beautiful, I don't know where you got the inspiration for those lines from, but can I have a pint of that please?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey celt,

your muse did a great job......as for you on the other hand, not so sure. :lol: sorry just kiddin'. you did a good job too.

i really get the feeling of a close intimate moment here. in my head the lines are sung low and slow, minimal music, that kinda blends into the background. very vocals based. hope that makes sense.
She's taught me to be like the Beach Rose
To show both strength and grace
To grow in spite of hardship
And stare storms in the face this is my favorite verse.

i do think that the chorus is repeated a little much. the chorus is very nice but doesn't need to be over done.

beautiful song.

-CheapThrill

ReplyQuote
(@sozay)
Estimable Member

Celt,

Great stuf. I especially liked

"The softness of the petals
And show where love is born"

though it was all excellent! So no suggestions for you :P

sozay

currently number 60 in total posts... and shooting for number 1!!

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Hi Celt,

What a wonderful bit of writing. I have to second CheapThrill's sentiments for a favorite verse. It does a wonderful job of summarizing the sentiments of the song. I also concur with the notion that the chorus might be a bit overdone. You might try: verse, chorus, verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus. On the other hand, it's a nice short song, so maybe the chorus after each verse works just fine. Hard to say just by reading. Anyways, I really enjoyed reading it.

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@beren)
Estimable Member

Hi Celt
What a beautiful song. I hear it as a folk song myself, pipes and whistles etc.
I think you caught the theme of this weeks assignment perfectly.
If we were voting for a song of the week this would be my choice.
Really lovely writing
Beren

I'm one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hello All,

Thanks for all the wonder full comments. I too have some problem with the chorus repeating so often. But seeing as this is very much a work in progress I'll let it stand as is for now . I still have to find music and things
may change during that process. Maybe I'll try something minimal and vocal based as Cheapthrill suggested.

Now for a few words on inspiration. Earlier this summer My Lady and I were enjoying a quiet weekend along the New England Coast. As we ate breakfast on the deck of this lovely little cafe My Lady noticed this beautiful flowering shrub growing along roadside. Yes these wild beach roses grab on to any little piece of land and thrive in a most unfriendly enviroment. Thier blooms are lovely and they grow anywhere. My Lady, being a huge gardening enthusiast decides we must find a nursery and bring one of these beauties home. So as I was pondering the assignment a vase of these blooms were sitting next to My Lady on the computer desk.

So Vic if I could figure out a way to put all that into pints I"d be a wealthy man . Well at least in a purely matieral way not wealthy in the way you are when you have the love of a good woman.

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@marvelousoptimist)
Reputable Member

On the subject of the number of choruses. I would say definately verse 1 & 2 chorus. Verse 3 and 4 chorus. I think grouping the verses in such a way would work becasue if you read them together like that.. those two sets of verses compliment each other. Verse one describes the rose as making a triumphant stand.. Verse 2 describes the things that the rose stood through. Verse 3 is more description and Verse 4 is how the rose has bettered the storyteller by being what she is.

This would make the song awfully short.. but maybe there's room for a bridge or something? Say a bit more. Or simply leave things short and (very) sweet.

-marv

Andrew Delaney & The Horse You Rode In On ---> http://www.myspace.com/andrewdelaney

You can and should buy my album "Scoundrels!" in mp3 format on amazon.com or iTunes etc...

ReplyQuote